Many of us insisted on preparing homemade food for our human babies because we wanted to be sure we knew exactly what they were eating. Most of us feel the same about our four-legged canine children. Not only do you save money but you can ensure your pup is getting the freshest treats possible. We have even included a recipe for diabetic pups because it can be quite the challenge finding diabetic-friendly treats. For your pets who are on strict prescription food diets, see if the food comes in wet form. If it does – and prescription foods often do – you are in luck! You can spread the wet food in a non-stick 8”x8” cake pan and bake at 325 degrees until the center is somewhat firm. One warning – you may want to open the windows during the cooking process. It can be stinky but your pups will be so happy they get to have “treats” again! Have fun and enjoy!
Here are some easy recipes for homemade organic treats for your favorite pooch:
Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Biscuits
What you need:
1 organic egg 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
1/3 cup organic peanut butter ½ cup wheat germ
½ cup mashed organic banana 1 organic egg white, lightly beaten (for brushing)
1 tablespoon organic honey
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees, lightly grease baking sheet.
- Stir together the whole egg, peanut butter, banana and honey thoroughly in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the flour and wheat germ; mix well.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and roll to 1/4” thick.
- Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter or knife, place on prepared baking sheet.
- Finally, brush tops with lightly beaten egg white.
Bake biscuits in preheated oven until dry and golden brown, about 30 minutes, depending on size of selected shape. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
Diabetic Friendly Treats
These biscuits contain only a few ingredients and are very easy to make. If you can’t stomach the liver you can substitute 2 jars of meat baby food. Don’t worry if you have pets without diabetes – they will also love these treats!
What you need:
½ cup organic whole wheat flour
2 organic eggs
1 ½ pounds beef liver, cut into pieces (or 2 jars meat baby food if substituting)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 10″ x 15” jellyroll pan with wax paper.
- Place liver into a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, add flour and eggs; process until smooth. If using baby food transfer baby food into bowl and thoroughly mix with the other ingredients.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan.
Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven until the center is firm. Let cool and cut into squares (easiest with pizza cutter). The treats will have a soft consistency. Make sure to store in a sealed container and placed in the refrigerator.
Simple Peanut Butter Bones
What you need:
2 cups organic whole wheat flour 1 cup organic skim milk
1 cup organic peanut butter (preferably unsalted smooth) 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
- Stir together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix peanut butter and milk. Stir in the flour mixture until well blended.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll out to 1/4” thickness and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly brown. Remove from cookie sheets and cool on wire racks.
©Onpets, LLC 2017. All rights reserved.